Thursday 18 April 2013

Perfectionism and slippy floors

At class yesterday, I was stretching before we started, and one of my friends said "Sophie!! Don't you ever stop practising????" My reply, I think, was a perfect portrayal of most dancers; "I am not perfect yet. So, no." (By which time, I was looking at her upside down, in my attempts to bend backwards and make my head touch my bum. :P Which, needless to say, did not work. The Russian, Vaganova-style flexibility is still very much a work in progress....)

Anyway. We started class with pointework yesterday and, as per usual, the floor was horribly slippy. After persistant moaning from certain people, the teacher produced a bag of roisin- a few minutes later, and certain patches of the floor looked like the victims of an abrupt snow flurry. :) No one slipped over in pointework class... Technique class was another matter altogether. By battements tendus and pirouettes, we were all beginning to regret our excessive use of roisin. My battements tendus went straight from a flat foot to a point; the roisin made any form of articulation totally impossible because our feet stuck to the floor, and I don't think anyone managed more than a double pirouette! Maybe slippy floors are good sometimes ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment