Monday 19 January 2015

London Coliseum

Getting up at 5.30am is never usually fun. But on Sunday, being up, with my hair in a bun and my dance bag packed, all before 6am, seemed wonderfully exciting. Just a few hours later, I was in London, on the beautiful Coliseum stage, for an ENB Swan Lake masterclass.

We did class work to warm up, then learnt the Swans' Entrance (which, as it happened, I had already learnt twice before!). Having done the same masterclass two years ago, it was fabulous to be back at the Coliseum, knowing that I'd made progress since last time. Then, we got to watch company class. The stage became a dazzling array of dancers in vivid warmups- it was fascinating to see how they did whatever they needed to do to warm up; even though exercises were given at the barre, they didn't necessarily do the enchainement as it was taught. One dancer particularly stood out; the gorgeous Tamara Rojo, whose exquisite lines and yearning passion made her seem, even in class, as if she were Odette.  Her movements flowed like silk, with effortless grace and dynamic. 

In the afternoon- having had a delicious lunch at Zizzi- I went shopping for pointe shoes. It wasn't the most successful shopping trip; we started in Bloch, who were fully booked for pointe fittings- I tried flat shoes, but wasn't completely sure that I liked them. So, on to Dancia- who stocked Gaynor Minden, Grishko, Capulet, Merlet and Bloch Triomphe, but not my trusty Capezio Glisse or Bloch Aspiration! Next stop; Sansha..... Who didn't do pointe shoe fittings without an appointment! No time wasted, we dashed to Freed- but we barely even got into the shop, it was packed with people!!! (At this point, mum began to get slightly tired- but I was on a pointe shoe mission, and wouldn't be deterred!!!) Capezio, too, were fully booked- so guess what? 

We went back to where we started, Bloch! The Bloch shop reminds me a bit of the Harry Potter movies, when he went to choose a wand- the walls at Bloch are filled, almost from floor to ceiling, with boxes of shoes! I couldn't get a pointe shoe fitting (but fortunately i do have enough pairs of pointes to last until my next trip to London, in 3 weeks time!) but did get some lovely soft shoes. It was an excellent day out, I'm looking forward to my next trip to London :D

No comments:

Post a Comment