Tuesday 30 December 2014

Festive fun; part 2

I know it's taken me forever, I meant to write this post about 3 weeks ago- sorry!!! 
Anyway; Nutcracker. I first saw BRB's Nutcracker three years ago and it was amazing, so I was excited to see it again- it certainly didn't disappoint!!! 

The technical aspects of the performance were superb; Drosselmeyer appeared in a puff of smoke and sparkles, to perform magic tricks, and then of course repair Clara's doll- the doll's head slid effortlessly back into place, without even being touched! 

The set was luxurious, with lavish burgundy curtains and furnishing, that made the Staulbaum home seem like the perfect place for a cosy Christmas party. In Act 2, the corps de ballet showed good unison and artistry in the Snow Dance, also in the second half the Arabian dance was particularly dynamic and graceful. (As the music began, someone behind me loudly whispered "is this the Turkish dance? Yes, it's the Turkish one!!" I believe you are mistaken.....)

However, I felt that at times some of the principals lacked expression, particularly in the sugar plum fairy pas de deux. 

The coda wasn't quite as dazzling as one would've hoped- the dancers seemed tired, as such their fouettés weren't quite of Principal standard, also the gargouillades in the sugar plum solo lacked precision and height at times. All in all though, it was a lovely festive treat, that seemed to get everyone in a Christmassy mood! 

No comments:

Post a Comment